2020: The Year of the Nurse and the Midwife
Nurses and midwives play a vital role in providing health services. These are the people who devote their lives to caring for mothers and children; giving lifesaving immunizations and health advice; looking after older people and generally meeting everyday essential health needs. They are often, the first and only point of care in their communities. The world needs 9 million more nurses and midwives if it is to achieve universal health coverage by 2030.
That’s why the World Health Assembly has designated 2020 the International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife.
As part of the global Nursing Now campaign, aimed to improve health by raising the status and profile of nursing, CARNA and AOHNA encourages nurses to stay up-to-date on the various activities and initiatives that will launch locally and globally. Engage to develop your leadership potential and amplify the voice of nursing!
- Nurse Networking Night (Jan. 29, 2020, CARNA office, Edmonton): Connect, share ideas and network with Alberta nurses in all domains of practice. CNA CEO, Mike Villeneuve will present on new developments at CNA and the Nursing Now Canada campaign.
- Policy Workshop (Jan. 30-31, 2020, CARNA office, Edmonton): CNA CEO Mike Villeneuve will support nurses in developing the skills need to strategically influence organizational and public policy. While this event is full, you may wish to add your name to the waitlist.
- CARNA Conference and AGM (March 18-19, 2020, Edmonton): The AGM is free to attend. There is a nominal fee to attend the conference.
- World Health Day and State of the World’s Nursing Report Launch (April 7, 2020)
AOHNA Conference and AGM (April 23-24, 2020, Calgary)
- National Nursing Week (May 11-17, 2020)
- International Nurses Day (May 12, 2020): “Nurses: A Voice to Lead-Nursing the World to Health”
- Pre-World Health Assembly Nurses Event (May 2020, Geneva)
- Dorothy Wylie Leadership Institute (May 19 - 22, 2020)
- CNA Biennial Convention (June 23-24, 2020, Ottawa): Take Care of Nurses to Take Charge of HealthJune 23-24, 2020, Ottawa) sdssssss
- ICN NP/APN Network Conference (Aug. 30 –Sept. 2 2020, Halifax)
- Nightingale Conference 2020 (Oct. 27-28, 2020, London, England)
- Nightingale Challenge: Employers are being called on to commit to providing leadership training for young and novice nurses. If you are an employer, learn more about how you can get involved and the resources available through Nursing Now.
- Canadian Academy of Nursing: The Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) recently created the Canadian Academy of Nursing. AOHNA members are also members of CNA and are eligible to purchase membership in the academy.
- #NursingInFocus photo contest: The aim of this contest is to put the spotlight on the work of nurses around the world to celebrate the impact and influence of nursing. Submit a photo by March 1, 2020 by posting a photo on social media using the hashtag #NursingInFocus.
- The Lancet Call for papers: The Lancet will be dedicating a weekly issue to the theme of nursing in 2020 and covering nursing practices across the globe.